Derek Jeter Is Retiring???????

Say it isn't so.

I have the ESPN Alert on my phone and I was writing a report when the familiar tone rang. I saw the first two words:

Derek Jeter

And my heart sunk. I thought about his ankle. Did he rip it again?

Nope.

It was worse.

The kid is setting up this as his last year.

So much ran through my mind.

--- Thinking about 1996 and asking my brother, Jeff - "They're going to try and win with a rookie shortstop?"

They did.

--- The 2000 World Series against the Mets was tied at 1. The Mets had Leiter going against El Duque, at home in Game 3. It was a match-up that favored the Mets. For the first time all year Torre batted Jeter first.

"Why is he batting first?" I yelled.

Jeter homered on the first pitch Leiter threw.

Game over.

--- The 2001 Playoffs against the A's when he caught the relay throw at the dugout and tossed it back-handed to Jorge to get the runner scoring from third.

It's still the greatest play I've ever seen.

--- Watching him hang with the fans. He took Matt's hat off and rubbed his head.

Matt's eyes almost popped out of his head.

--- The fact that he has never once slipped up.

Always respectful.

Always gracious.

But I grew sad for one simple reason.

That's it.

All of my sports heroes are gone after this year.

The new players just don't do it for me.

So...I will be 50 years old when Derek finishes up.

My childhood will officially...finally...end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie