CJM Is 50


You see the guy in the photo?

He's tough to see because the girl is so beautiful and hard not to look at, but that's him.

The man, the myth, the legend.

Christopher J. Miller is 50 years old today.

A few truths about my friendship with CJM:

1). I tried to strangle him one day. He was the first guest over at a birthday party where I had cooked for 40 people, cleaned the yard, and vacuumed the house. He started in about my weight, or my bald head, or the fact that I was overworked and tired, and I tried to strangle him.

He laughed.

2). I hated him in high school because he was a good athlete on our rival team and he was an arrogant douche.

The only thing that's changed is that he's not an athlete anymore.

3). Our first day in college we flipped each other the bird. We meant it.

Since those days...

...we've shared everything.

4). He picked up a 7-iron and played six holes of golf against my buddies and me. He beat us by ten strokes, easy.

5). I saw him hit a golf ball 360 yards. He then chipped over the green and into the water hazard and I beat him on the 390 yard hole. On the way home from the course he got us lost in a city we didn't know. He finally stopped at a gas station, to get directions (I assumed) but instead came out holding 2 40-ounce beers in a paper bag. It took us 3 hours to get home.

6). I love his Mom and Dad and Eddie and his beautiful children and obviously lovely wife. We've shared the highs and lows of life.

All of 'em.

Every single moment.

7). And now he's 50 years old.

It's hard to believe, actually.

Unless you see a photo of us now.

The hair is gone.

The bellies are bigger.

There won't be any more pick-up basketball games where he lowers the shoulder and breaks my breastbone for me, and then laughs.

But we'll keep laughing.

Happy Birthday, buddy.

You're still an arrogant douche.

But I got used to it.

Love you, CJM.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty