Am I Unpatriotic?

I have not watched even a minute of Olympic coverage.

Is that wrong?

I do love sports, but not quite as much as I used to...but I never really got into the Olympic games.

Especially the winter Olympics, I suppose.

And it's not that I don't have a little interest in the hockey tournament, but I just haven't been available to see the USA play. Perhaps I will watch the game against Canada tomorrow, but then again, maybe not.

And the amateur athletes that are competing in these games probably do deserve more of our attention than the pro sports teams, but a gold medal for curling?

Wasn't one of the participants in the curling match in past games pregnant?

Isn't it a game where the best sweepers win?

And I just don't get the other sports where the judges make the decision on who wins. I suppose that I'd rather see it all play out and the clear winner and loser gets to be declared.

Yet I have kept up with how the USA is doing and only because I get alerts on my phone each time someone wins a medal.

Who's the big star of this Olympic season?

What has captured your attention?

I hear that it's the USA against Canada.

Can we declare that the loser has to keep Justin Bieber?

Will the pros from Canada be better than the pros from the USA?

In the end I guess it has lost some of it's shine.

The 1980's win of the gold in the hockey tourney was special because we didn't know any of those kids. They weren't professionals. They were playing a Russian team that was built for that competition and they won anyway, and it's
still one of the greatest sports stories of all-time.

I remember where I was:

The game was tape-delayed. It was tied at two.

They went to a commercial break and the goofy news announcer from Buffalo said:

"The USA beats Russia!"

I can remember how mad I was because he had spoiled it.

But I had watched anyway.

Now I don't really care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie