Remembering Jessica Lange

Been chasing another great television series since the Breaking Bad phase of our lives.

Nothing yet.

We watched the first few episodes of a couple of them, but they were a little weird...didn't want to invest in them.

Jake showed up in the living room the other day:

"You wanna' try American Horror Show?"

"I'm just sitting here," I said. I was actually reading, but never say 'no' when the kids want to share.

The show was a bit too crazy for me. The supernatural, paranormal stuff is a bit much, but halfway through the first episode Jessica Lange showed up.

"Remember her?" I asked.

Jake just looked at me.

"When you were a little boy we had to watch the King Kong movie three times a day."

Teenagers hate being reminded of what they did as children. I figured Jake would shut it down.

"She was the hot chick?" He asked.

I laughed. I would say that every time that we watched the movie.

He remembered.

"Time hammered her," Jake said.

But it hadn't really. She's still a terrific actress. Youth and beauty give way, but she aged just fine.

Then it got me thinking about some of the other stuff we shared with the kids.

Jake used to make us wake up early so he could watch the garbage men dump the tote. I swear to God he'd be shaking he was so excited.

It was so much fun to see him so happy.

Still is.

We had once been watching a Yankee game (go figure) and one of their bench players, Bubba Crosby, was in the game. Sam was about 4 years old at the time. He looked at the screen and turned to me:

"Who the hell is him?" he asked.

We still do the "Who the hell is him?" whenever a new player is on the screen.

And Matt, you ask?

There's a million of them.

"I'm telling you right now, write it down," he told me as he watched the Bills play back a few years ago, "J.P. Losman is going to the Hall of Fame one day. Write it down."

Now when he mentions something I say, "Write it Down."

Matt also played in a high school basketball game when we were all present. He actually played very well, and is quick to remind us of that, but during the game he took one shot that was an absolute brick. It hit the backboard with a massive thud.

"Remember when you almost shattered the backboard?" Jake asked him the other day.

"There were people hiding under their seats," Sam added.

I just laughed.

All that came to mind when we saw Jessica Lange on the screen.

I wasn't a big fan of the episode.

"What did you think?" Jake asked. "I've been watching the whole series."

"It was great," I said. "We can watch another episode whenever you have time."

He headed away, satisfied, as if we had just finished King Kong again.

He's so big.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie