Happy Birthday, Johnny


Looking at that photo of my nephew John from the softball game in the summer I can only recall what I have thought since the day he entered the world.

He's loved.

And there's no way I could have ever imagined what the circumstances of his young life would be from the vantage point of the day he was born.

My brother had called with excitement in his voice.

The unmatched excitement of witnessing the miracle of life starting.

Just an amazing, amazing gift.

"After seeing that if you doubt the existence of God...Man!"

Jeff's voice had trailed off.

And we were all so happy to be welcoming another John Fuzzy into the world.

And what a fine boy John has grown into. He has a bright engaging smile, a wonderful demeanor, and a thoughtful and intelligent soul. His family providing the guidance he needs to fight the cruelty of life.

Just beautiful.

During the summer we went out into the driveway and tossed the basketball around.

John and Sam were on a team together playing me and Rocco.

I checked the ball and tossed it to Sam.

He immediately passed it to his cousin.

I made a half-hearted attempt to block the shot, but Johnny was unfazed.

He put it right up as Fuzzy's are wont to do.

He swished it.

"I've been getting better," he said.

You sure have, kid.

You are loved.

Happy Birthday, Johnny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty