Twelve, Twelve, Twelve

Catching up on all the news fit to print.

My son passed me in the kitchen yesterday and said:

"Nine more days until the end of the world."

He was shocked when I responded with:

"Whatever."

1). The Yankees signed another member of the Boston Suck Sox World Series team. Oh how I hated Kevin Youkilis and now he's gonna' be wearing the pinstripes. I will hate him every time he doesn't get a hit which will be about 7 out of every ten times. The other three times he will be barely tolerable.

2). Bruce and the Stones played together for the hurricane relief effort on 12/12/12. It's a good thing I didn't go. My head might have exploded. My two favorite acts.

3). The leg rehab is a funny thing. I can't believe that people can get used to not doing anything. I have been trying my best to stay off it and certainly haven't climbed anything in two weeks, but despite the fact that I've wanted to keep my mind busy there is a great impulse to watch The Fresh Prince of Bel Air at 11 a.m. Thankfully the rehab hasn't had any influence on my lack of sleep schedule.

4). The Portland mall shooting of Tuesday night is one of those all-time nightmare situations. Hearing about women screaming and trying to rush their children out of the line to see Santa is bone-chilling. Yet at least the guys rights to carry a semi-automatic had not been infringed upon.

5). Man, the New England Patriots are fun to watch. It's not a very popular stance here in Buffalo, but they sort of have the market cornered on making their opponents look foolish and Tom Brady is the best QB ever. I always answered that question with Joe Montana, but even he wasn't that in control of every situation.

6). What do you think of the Sabres so far this year? Or the Flyers? Or the Penguins? or the Capitals? What a shame. Malkin with the Pens tried to garner a little of the sympathy of the common man by explaining that the players need to worry about their families. Every single work stoppage has one of those morons mention that. Malkin made 9 million last year. More than any of us will make in five lifetimes. For flipping rubber at a net. Looks like a banner year around the tree at the Malkin home. Perhaps we can pass the hat.

7). What do you make of the nurse who killed herself after being pranked by a radio show when my ex-girlfriend Kate was in for her baby-sickness? It seems to me that perhaps she was a tad unstable before the call, but it does call to mind that Princess Di was driven off the road by idiots too. They are people, people.

8). There's a lot of reading going on here as I keep Will Smith off the television set. I'm currently reading a Mickey Mantle biography. The Mick was one guy who was too blessed, too beloved, and too admired. I'm not thinking that's an easy place to be either...not that I'll ever get there.

"Don't be like me," as he was dying is pretty powerful though.

9). Christmas just isn't the same for a lot of reasons. I see one of my neighbors, who has young kids, putting up Santa, Reindeer and Frosty blow-ups and I wonder if I should at least hang a wreath on my door.

Then I think:

He has to take all that shit down in a couple of weeks.

In the freezing cold.

With the kids already griping.

And the wife on his back.

Poor dopey bastard.

I might hang a wreath.

My beautiful wife might have to help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty