Tragic

I must be confused when it comes to the meaning of the word tragic.

I find it tragic that a child gets sick.

Yet I'm not sure I'd put the tragedy label on when a guy drives drunk and kills his passenger.

I find it tragic that a mother loses a child during pregnancy.

The tragedy of shooting a woman and then yourself is sort of lost on me.

Am I thinking too much into this?

I bring all of this up because I saw a Dallas Cowboy get interviewed after their stirring win yesterday and he mentioned that he had no right to question 'God's Plan'.

So God was responsible for the downing of shots and the getting behind the wheel and crashing and flipping?

God planned that?

Did He put a trip-wire in the road?

On a daily basis, as a safety dude, I walk around and watch men put themselves in compromising positions for the sake of, what, I don't know.

I once investigated the death of a man who went over 60 feet to the concrete below. He had everything he needed to stay alive and disregarded the use of such life-saving equipment.

Tragedy?

Or dopey bastard?

Perhaps we can re-classify the verbiage we use to describe such incidents.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if an announcer said something like this?

The Cowboys beat the Bengals yesterday with heavy hearts after the dopey bastard on their team caused undue grief.

Or like this:

The Chiefs were able to rebound as they stood up to dopey bastardish circumstances to win a stupid game.

Perhaps it's me and I'm over-sensitive.

Yesterday during the game I felt my anger rising as the announcer spoke of the 'brilliance' of the running back who knew enough to get out of bounds to stop the clock as time was winding down.

"I just can't get over what a brilliant play that was," the announcer gushed.

Brilliant?

I have a four-year old nephew that knows they are running out of time and that the clock stops when you go out of bounds.

I don't know.

Tragic.

Brilliant.

I think they're all a bunch of:

Dopey Bastards.

Comments

John said…
I say we call it adding chlorine to the gene pool. Google "Darwin Awards" and you'll find a slew of dopey bastards who left the world a better place by leaving the world. Period.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty