It's Only Rock & Roll

Who knows what to expect when all of your Rock & Roll heroes are older than 60 years old? Would Mick and the boys do all right? Would Daltrey hit the high notes? Will McCartney get married again backstage? Can Bon Jovi do a decent job of standing next to Bruce?

The show was unreal.


Bruce started the show, of course. He doesn't follow anyone so I knew it would go that way. He didn't disappoint. My boy Sam came into the room to check on why the television was so loud.

"Sit with me," I said.

He watched Bruce do My City of Ruins. As Bruce sang, With these hands, I pray Lord. Sam glanced at me.

"He has the whole place praying," he said. "He's pretty good."

When Roger Waters hit the stage I was a little unprepared for how much I love his music too. (He was following Bruce, by the way), but Waters was powerful and The Wall still resonates with me even if I didn't smoke pot to listen to it.

Other notes?

Alicia Keyes is beautiful and has a wonderful voice.

Bon Jovi was over matched singing with Springsteen.

The Stones were a late addition and only played two songs but as I noted during the set, Jagger is way old, but he did more cardio in two songs than I've done in 20 years. He's an absolute freak of nature and sounded great. I have a special place in my heart for Keith and Charlie too. Love the Stones.

Billy Joel, Sir Paul and Michael Stipe were tremendous.

But the highlight?

The Who simply blew me away. Who Are You? was a little choppy as it is tough for Roger to get there on the high notes, but after that...

...damn they were awesome.

So what happened next?

Kayne West made me turn my television off.

I really want to try and see what the deal is with rap music.

I really do.

I love music and I want to see why it captures the attention of so many, but I just can't do it.

'Cause it isn't music.

Kanye West was awful. Flat-out sucked. In between The Who and then Billy Joel and McCartney????

The show went from The Who to The Why?

The concert ended around 1:30. Most of us who are old enough to love that music are walking around so damn tired, but so fired up.

Rock & Roll isn't dead even if most of the guys who can still do it are getting there.

I hope they raised a billion dollars to help those poor people hammered by the storm.

I hope they never have to gather again to help, but I'm sure glad they still can.

It's only Rock & Roll but I love it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty