London Book Festival


I've never been to London.

Chances are I won't ever get there either, but Oh Brother! The Life & Times of Jeff Fazzolari will be there.

And it will be honored there, and it's a funny thing, really because the other day I was talking to my doctor who is a really intelligent guy who is really great at his job, and he made me laugh because he said:

"I've always wanted to be a writer."

We chatted about the awards that have been piling up for me lately and how odd being recognized in such a manner is.

"It doesn't matter to me," I said. "I really just want Jeff's name front and center at all of these shows."

"That is the goal," he said, "but think of this as well, you're being recognized by your peers. Did you ever think that was possible when you were writing your first sentence down 30 years ago?"

"I'm still not sure that matters," I said.

He laughed.

"How many awards now?" he asked.

"Eight. Four different books," I said. "And I feel like a jackass even saying it."

"Have you arrived at the conclusion that you might have a talent in the field?" he asked.

"Not necessarily," I said, and I laughed. "I'm waiting for people to figure out it's smoke and mirrors and good editing."

"Then send me your editor," he said. "Because it doesn't happen for everyone."

London, England.

I'm not going, but I'm sure as hell glad that Jeff is making the trip.

I just wish we were going together and coming back with shaved heads and horrible hangovers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie