That Damn Cliff

So we are approaching the fiscal Cliff and the dire predictions say that milk prices will double, oil prices will rise, the mortgage exemption for taxes will be nullified and taxes will go up, across the board for those of us who actually pay them.

Other than that...not a lot will change.

I'm not much into economics. I turned all of the family finances over to my beautiful wife and while it appears there's a real disconnect between the upper class of the family (wifey and college boy), the middle class (15-year-old and 12-year old hoodlums) and those of (me) on the poverty line, we're doing okay.

I think.

(It's hard to get a lot of information about the state of the books from the higher tier).

Yet I don't much bother with it. Socks without holes in the toes are all I really require, and I like the freezer filled in case we are trapped in the house for too long.

Still, it's hard not to worry about something that we don't quite understand, right?

Will there be a last minute deal?

Should there be?

Will those at the higher end of the economic chain pay more?

Should they?

Will those at the bottom be forced to pay a little?

Can you get blood from a stone?

I do have opinions on the matter, of course, but mainly I'm a little concerned that the name Cliff is being dragged through the mud.

That damn Cliff.

Cliff may ruin us all.

I have received a few of the headlines in my text message inbox.

Why couldn't it have been the Fiscal Bill or the Fiscal Donald?

What do I predict will happen?

I'm thinking there will be a last minute deal brokered that makes someone a lot of free money as they find the loopholes. I imagine that the leaders of each party will stand shoulder-to-shoulder and talk about how one man or the other put the stake of the country over their usually selfish means.

And the guy in the middle will be the one who actually gets screwed.

And he won't even know about it.

Until it's too late.

We will avoid the Cliff that will ruin us, but make no mistake.

Eventually a fiscal Cliff will cause our demise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie