March 16, 1996

My siblings and I were filled with an overwhelming love for our Dad. Through the years, he dropped us a line now and then to let us know...the love he held for us in his heart. This is a letter he mailed to me after Waldorf & Juli was published.

Cliff,

Good job on the book. I'll get a chance to read it soon I hope. Of course I'm proud. You've made me proud so many times, like when you wheeled the cart into the dumpster in San Francisco, or spilled the cold cuts on the cellar stairs, or planted the cukes in the manure pile, and many more things - like learning to tie your shoes when you were 11 years old.

The only thing that was truly brave & heroic is when you helped me off the floor in Mountain View when the turkey attacked me from the oven.

Some day you'll have the leisure time to think about a lot of nice memories - since my father died there are so many instances that come to mind every day. I couldn't cry when he left until over a year later when it hit me that I really missed him - and still do.

I just hope I made him as proud of me as you have made me - as well as the rest of my family.

Even when you planted the onions upside down.

Somehow they grew.

You'll do fine. Just take it one day at a time and compete with yourself only -

Love, Dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie