History of the Word Part II

When I set about writing Book#5 In Real Life I was actually living a real life for the first time. Newly married with a child who arrived before the wedding thank-you's were delivered, I was battling to write while living. I was writing about a guy who's Real Life wasn't exactly matching up with the one he imagined. It began with him finding out that Santa Claus wasn't who he thought, and the truths in his life continued to trick him into a world of despair.

Hands down, it was the most fun I ever had writing a book. My brother Jeff was working as a comedy consultant. My characters were so alive that I got real emotional as I reached the conclusion of the story, and I learned so much about editing and transitions and selling books. I went to Book Expo America for the first time and met Johnny Cash's son, Jamie Lee Curtis and Gene Hackman. Too cool.

Talk about life not matching reality! I love In Real Life. Still smile every time I think of it, and use it to read to classes every time I'm asked to speak. Too much fun.

Book#6-Counting On A Miracle - As if I had tempted fate by making fun of the illusions of life right after In Real Life came out my son Jake was diagnosed with a life-threatening tumor. The world we were building was upside down, didn't make any sense, and horribly, horribly in jeopardy. What followed was another real education in the ways of the world. There was a terrific lean to the faith that I'd learned as a child, a dependence on a wonderful family and wife, and a trust in the staff at the Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo.

There was also a wonderful conclusion as Jake was saved by the work of the staff...and of course, there had to be a book there. Way too much living to ignore, but non-fiction? Could it be done?

I wrote fast as if to rid myself of the angst and pain. I cried through the first draft, sent it in, and my publisher and editor cried too - way too fast, way out of whack, much work to be done.

About a year later the book we wanted - Counting On A Miracle (The title borrowed from a great Springsteen song) was published.

It was no longer about me, my, mine. The book was written for the staff of people who saved Jake's life, for Jake, and with the help of Megan Davidson, the greatest book editor in America.

Counting On A Miracle took me to Chicago for the Book Expo America where the number one scene of my writing life took place.

I snuck into the McCormick Center early in the morning before the Expo officially opened. I sat at the booth where Sterling House was presenting, and I stared up at the cover photo of my son Jake.

"What the hell?" I kept saying over and over. "How the hell did I get here?"

That is also the Book Expo where I ran into the Fonz (See our lovely photo). I sincerely doubt he hung onto the photo of he and I, but it was great. Henry Winkler is a very nice guy. I shook his hand after a day of signing books beside him and I asked him if he ever did the deed with Pinky Tuscadero. He laughed hard. Glad I asked.

One of the doctors mentioned that Counting On A Miracle should be required reading: for every human being.

That's a long ways from Money Changes Everything, right?

Comments

Weirdly, I just realized you met the FONZ! That is just so cool... when you meet the Six Million Dollar Man, let me know - he was also my hero.

Come on now, finish the history... this is awesome...
By the way, I realized it was Henry Winkler some time ago, but Henry Winkler is so different from the FONZ, no?

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty