The Golf Ball

When I finish a round of golf I toss the ball in the side door of my car and listen to it roll around as I go about my business, once in awhile thinking of it, as I try and figure out when I'll get to play again.

Three weeks ago, I tossed the ball and completely forgot about it.

I forgot because life got in the way. Big Time.

And this is how weird I truly am. Today when I retrieved the ball for use on the course, I actually told it that I missed it.

I didn't get a response.

I wanted to let it know about my Dad, and the weeks of work, grief, sickness, soreness, and general aggravation. But in my mind, I think it knew. It knew that I needed it to be a healthy distraction. I wanted it to behave well for me through the day.

Feeling a little under the weather due to a lot of drinks at a wedding.

Who didn't see that coming?

But you gotta' love a wife who orders you a dirty martini at 1 AM.

I placed the ball on the tee, thinking that we would have a wonderful day together.

Then I promptly skipped the ball across the pond. One, two, three skips as though it were a flat rock and I had practiced that shot.

It came out a little wet, but down the middle, in fairly good shape.

And while we were on the course, enjoying our friendship and a good day, life threatened again. My buddy got called away due to a sudden illness in his family - please, please, please say a prayer for them.

With my head firmly down, I kept swinging.

And shot the lowest round I've shot all year. No small feat because I had two more martini's after the one Kathy ordered.

And I got back to my car, and tossed the same ball into the side door. We'd been through 18 holes together, and I didn't lose him.

"See you next week, I hope," I said. "Hopefully I'll have some good news for you."

He didn't answer.

Comments

chris said…
Hey they say a dog is mans best friend? I thinks it's his ball! U can throw them, toss them, clean them, hit them, bounce them, rub them and they don't complain or talk back, they go where u want them but don't touch another guys ball!
Have another dirty tini for your dads ball.
Cheers

A yankee ball is the best! But a meatball is a close second!)
deafjeff said…
Grape Ape went all time low. The lowest round I've ever had and only beat you by 8. The other Ape's trouble makes it wothless though, can't be happy after that.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie