Parents Project Muscular Dystrophy

When I went away to college my father explained to me that some of the people that I would meet at school would remain best of friends for life. It's hard to tell a 17-year-old anything, but I remember my father telling me that, and I was reminded of it yet again last night.

One of the first guys I met at school was a fellow Italian from New Jersey. Gag and I became fast friends and we laughed a lot, drank even more, played backgammon to a thousand games, and just kind of grew up together. Through the years, we've had on and off contact, and unbelievably, we both battled illnesses with our children. My son had a tumor removed, and Gag's son was stricken with MD.

Recently, we have talked more - not every day as we once did, but we are friends again and that does my heart good.

Gag's son is battling MD - he's a beautiful boy with a love for the Yankees. Like his Dad (and Mom) he is positive, happy, and undeniably spiritual. The entire family is working hard to help others who are battling MD - Gag is even running in 26-mile marathons to help the cause.

Last night, I watched a video about young Michael's battle - you can find it by visiting Parents Project Muscular Dystrophy. The video is beautiful, inspiring, and should be required watching for all human beings.

Every night, I Thank God that I have great friends - and my buddy, Gag and his family, are high on the list.

He may have beaten me in backgammon all of those years ago, and he can run about 25.8 more miles than me - but together we seem to be moving through the dark, right there in each other's hearts.

Do yourself a favor - watch the video and make a donation if you can - it's about life, community and togetherness as human beings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty