Guilty Pleasures

I saw that commercial where the guy is driving and talks to his radio, asking for his song. His passenger thinking he can catch his friend asks for Michael Bolton and a song starts.

No, I don't care for Michael Bolton - but I have a few other artists who are not mainstream who make me sing out loud. Like John Denver - don't laugh - listen to him - he's awesome.

I was having this conversation with my brother and he kind of looked away. "What?" I asked.
"Barbara Streisand," he said. "She's awesome."

We were drinking beer at the time and we laughed for a long while. Yet strangely neither of us have ever brought up the conversation again.

Music is a strange thing - I like a Thompson Twins song - "Hold Me Now." They are not a rock band. I shouldn't like the song, but I do. This past Christmas - the kids bought me a copy of the CD - every other song sucks - but I do blast "Hold Me Now, warm my heart. Stay with me....."

The Carpenters is another one of those guilty pleasures and not for any other reason then my mother used to play their Greatest Hits. As a 43-year-old man, it is hard to imagine my mother as a young woman, but I have vivid memories of her playing that album. When I hear them now, I don't chnage the channel. Instead, I listen and even sing along. That girl could sing.

Besides who can honestly resist - "On the day that you were born the angels got together and decided to make a dream come true. So, they sprinkled gold dust in your hair....

That's all I can remember, honestly. If it's a guilty pleasure, so what, it makes me think of my mother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie