Greatest Hits

Having seen Springsteen 22 times, I often go to the concerts now waiting for him to play one of the old, obscure songs that I know better than most everyone else at the concert.

Some of the other people at the concert are, of course, waiting for Born in the USA or Born to Run, and I imagine that Bruce has tired of playing each, but he complies, playing those songs with the lights up and everyone standing and pumping their fists.

I thought of this because my sister posted the lyrics to the Bruce song - "If I Fall Behind" on her blog - www.eyesonthehorizon.blogspot.com (If you haven't read her blog yet - do yourself a favor - she's the writer in the family).

Anyway, the song was my wedding song - yep, my wife had no choice but to pick a Bruce song for my awkward dance with her - "If I Should Fall Behind" is the perfect relationship song.

So, how did Valentine's Day go?

We split the laundry chore. I got dinner ready and Kathy did homework with the boys. I made sure they were showered as she attended Matt's basketball game. We were both tired from the long work day, and we caught up with one another around nine o'clock. We discussed the weekend and the next road trip for work, and we went our separate ways so she could watch them open up suitcases on Deal of No Deal and I could watch a Drew Carey rerun.

There was no old, obscure song to make the day a rousing success in my mind, but sometimes just hearing Born to Run is enough. The greatest hits package is often times enough to sustain.

I thought of all of this in light of what my sister has been saying about love and relationships - perhaps the greatest line of love comes from Bruce's Born to Run anyway - where he pleads - "I want to let you in, I want to be your friend, I want to guard your dreams and visions."

Sometimes, love is about switching out the laundry - and not chocolate and roses.

I need to go this way by the way, because once more, I didn't get a Valentine! (Just kidding, wifey, my way of making you feel bad!).

Comments

Thanks for the kudos... Bruce rocks!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie