100 +

Just read the news that it is getting easier to live to be more than 100 years old. I'm not sure if that is good news or bad news.

I can remember my gradnfather's 80th birthday - I was in my early 20's and just couldn't fathom living to the age of 80. I remember saying this to my grandfather. Being just plain stupid, I said, "I don't know if I want to live until I'm 80."

Grandpa said - "When you're 79, you do."

True enough, but I often have this particular conversation with my wife - will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 94?

My wife, bless her heart, doesn't mince words - "When you can't take care of yourself anymore, we'll put you in a nice home, and stop by to visit once in awhile."

At least I have the visits to look forward to.

The problem I have with living to 100 is that I can barely get up the stairs now. I seem to have a perpetual ache that just moves around my body - today it's in my right shoulder - I'm guessing back for tomorrow. Yet, I'm not that old!

As soon as I completed reading the article about all of us living longer lives, I turned the page to read a story of a woman hitting the age of 108. She explained that clean living allowed her to last that long.

Seriously? You mean the two-thousand beers I drank in college are going to come back to haunt me?

In the end, I suppose it is all about quality of life. I am aiming for the century mark in the year 2064.

Perhaps the Buffalo Bills will have won the Super Bowl by then. I may not be coherent enough to notice, however, but I'm certain my wife and kids will visit me at the home to let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie