Coincidences & Angels

Some years back, I taught a creative writing class at a local school. I enjoyed the experience, but time got in the way, and I wasn't able to repeat the experience. Still, I stayed close with a number of the students from that class and one - Diane, along with her husband Karl - have become real friends. They often come to my book signings and it is always pleasure to see them.

The signing this past weekend was real important however because Diane worked hard and had her story published in the Buffalo News on Saturday. It was important to her and her family, and it was important to me because I had told her what I tell everyone who wants to write - "Shut up and write." It was advice given to me, and it hasn't failed me!

Yet the important part of the story is that Diane wrote of her deaf parents and how it was for her to grow up in such an environment. It really is a heartwarming piece.

As I was signing, a woman stopped at the table and took a good hard look at the cover of Counting on a Miracle. I moved close to tell her about the book, but she waved me off and signed that she was deaf. I stood watching her, unsure of what I should do. The woman continued to run her finger over the photo of the angel on the cover of the book. Still, I watched nervously, and you guessed it, Diane and Karl walked over.

Before too long, Dinae was involved in a full conversation for me. She translated the story of the extraordinary woman before me, who was in a battle for her life, suffering from leukemia.

Moments later, her deaf husband joined the "conversation" and Diane, the man and woman discussed my book, and my search for faith in light of my son's own battle. I was simply an innocent bystander.

I joined the conversation when the husband grabbed a sheet of paper and explained his wife's situation. He also wrote that he was a Reverand and that he was on a lifelong search for real faith.

I wrote down that the chance meeting, with Diane present, was a heck of a coincidence.

The Reverand wrote back that he didn't believe in coincidences, but that he strongly believed in angels. He purchased a copy of Counting on a Miracle and House of Miracles. I shook hands with him and his wife and wished them well.

Oh, one more bit of a coincidence. When I was teaching that class all of those years ago, Diane lent me a book so that I could research a subject. This might make your skin stand up - the book was all about angels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie