Round of My Life


 Back in 1984 we lived in Mill Valley, California. I was just 19 years old. There was a golf course - ‘Golden Gate Golf Course’ that I could walk to.

I went at least 4 days a week and one day, I was hitting the ball long and straight and playing that often, I learned the course. 

I shot a 39 and a 40 for a 79.

Since then, I’ve aged considerably and my game got a lot worse when the kids were young because I wasn’t playing.

These last few years we have played a regular schedule and have visited the same, really nice course each week.

I love the place and I knew that someday I could have a great round again.

I shot 80 there twice in the last few years. Great rounds - but not good enough.

I started the round with a par, bogey, birdie, par, par and it entered my mind.

Didn’t look again until after hole 16.

“I need a par and a bogey for a 79,” I told my buddies Pops and J.C.

They were really rooting for me.

Chippy was the star of hole 17 - from off the green to a tap in for the par.

“Only a bogey left.”

We were playing behind three guys who were slow, horrible, shooting the green, marking putts and getting on their knees to read the green.

So, I had to wait, and I could feel myself choking.

“Relax, keep it in the middle,” Pops said.

I did on the first two shots, and then chunked one.

Uh-oh.

Still had 3 shots to get it in from 110 yards out.

Hit a decent shot that I felt good about, but when I made it over the ridge, my heart sunk!

My ball was in the sand!!!

I had one thought:

“I wasted my day with that bad break. That’s golf.”

I thought of my buddy Chris telling me to stand up straighter when I was using my irons…

…and I then hit the absolute best shot of my life.

My ball was within 2 inches of the hole. 

I have never once cheered on the golf course.

I did there…

…and the best part was the smile on the faces of my buddies - wish Scotty wasn’t hurt - I walked up and tapped the gimme a foot wide of the hole just to make Pops scream.

I knew I’d done it.

A 79!

The next one will be when I’m 99 years old.

I know it means absolutely nothing to anyone, and it shouldn’t - but it was a goal I’d set for myself.

And I freaking did it.

Same ball I used all day found a spot in my kitchen window - next to the small figurine of Peter Griffin that Jake gave to me 20 years ago.

I’m going to look at it every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Suits

Mom & Ollie