Down to Earth

I know you’re on pins and needles wondering how I followed up the best round of golf of my life.

First drive was great…

…second shot went off the toe…

…double-bogey.

Followed by another.

And though I had a half dozen pars and hit the ball okay…

…I found my mind wandering and I didn’t care.

Couldn’t focus on the battle, and it made me think of the days when we just muddle through.

It’s impossible to be ON all the time, and that’s on the course or in every day life.

The important thing was getting out there and getting some sun during a weekend where torrential rains, and reports for hail by Sunday night had Ollie laying on my left shoulder by the end of the day.

It is definitely hard to focus all the time, and as miserable as a Monday morning can be I do enjoy the fact that Mondays are usually quiet for at least half the day.

If you’re on all the time people think you’re crazy. I thought of Charles Barkley telling a story about Tom Brady as they got ready for a celebrity golf tournament.

While Barkley and the rest of the athletes were sitting at the clubhouse bar they laughed at Brady who was on the range hitting bucket after bucket of balls.

“He’s crazy!” Charles said.

They watched Brady finally pack it in and they figured he was going to join them at the bar.

Instead, Brady took off in a sprint, running around the building.

“The man is crazy!”

Dan Patrick, who was doing the interview asked the question.

“Who won?”

“Oh, Brady’s team won, but at what cost? The rest of us had more fun.”

And while focus and determination is undoubtedly a wonderful thing there is also something to be said for taking it easy once in a while…

…taking the foot off the pedal from time-to-time.

It was a perfectly decent round of golf…

…no records were broken.

I didn’t birdie anything or hit any miraculous shots from the sand…

…and that’s how most days go.

Uneventful is sometimes perfectly fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Suits

Mom & Ollie