Beau Brummel

For years I’ve sung along with Billy Joel in “It’s Only Rock & Roll to Me” but I never understood the line:

“You could be a Beau Brummel baby if you just give if half a chance.”

Never was curious enough to try and figure it out what the hell Billy was talking about.

Given my penchant for style you’d think I would’ve known who Beau was, right?

I finally got curious enough yesterday.

Beau Brummel was born in 1780 and he became a bit of a wizard of menswear when he started accessorizing his outfits.

He was in the military where he was kicked by a horse.

His friendship with George, the Prince of Wales, got him an in with the socialites of the day.

He went to Oxford for a term, but gave up his education because he wanted to take advantage of his talents and he became the greatest influencer of all-time.

He must have, right, because about 200 years later, Billy Joel included his name in a song!

Now, some may argue that I don’t have much in the way of fashion sense.

I can sometimes pair my Yankees ‘Mantle’ shirt with the correct pair of blue shorts, but in all my 59 years I have never been considered a snappy dresser.

There were two times in my life when I tried.

Back when I made appearances on television for the books, Kathy would help me pick out things to wear, which led to the all-time call of calls from my brother, Jeff, after I walked off the AM Buffalo stage.

“Who dressed you?” He asked.

“Kathy picked out the shirt.”

“I could see your nipples.”

Horrified, I hustled home and played the VCR tape.

The shirt was fine.

Also, when we first got married I noticed that some of my ratty shirts were gone and I had these Beau Brummel type shirts.

When we’d go out I’d get suggestions on my outfit.

I have to give my poor wife an A for effort. 

She tried.

But it didn’t last long.

I destroyed a fancy white shirt she got for me with a combination of a mustard and ketchup stain that was the result of a hot dog getting loose.

“I give up,” she said.

And as I write this, I look down at the bright orange shirt and the faded jeans that I’m wearing to work.

Stains everywhere.

I wonder what old Beau would think of me.

An influencer in menswear…

…I’m not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Suits

Mom & Ollie