We Are the World

When I saw that Netflix was going to do a documentary on the making of the song, ‘We Are the World’, I basically started counting down the days.

Man, it’s worth it…

…was as great as I thought it would be.

I was a senior in college when the song hit the world. I remember exactly where I was when I heard the song and watched the video for the first time.

I was blown away by the group of talented musicians who came together to sing the song in an effort to raise money for starving people in Africa.

Just an overwhelming, beautiful song and almost 40 years later, I still can’t believe they pulled it off.

The documentary showed some of the artists here in 2024.

They spoke of how they were a bit nervous.

Bob Dylan looked like he wanted to crawl under the stage. Huey Lewis explained that he didn’t feel he belonged and that he thought his head might explode.

Bruce was just coming off a show from the night before and he wasn’t sure his voice would hold up.

They all nailed their parts.

I laughed when they showed Steve Perry hitting the high notes…

…they immediately went to 2024 Springsteen and he said:

“Steve Perry can really sing.”

Some of the artists have passed. Tina Turner looked so young, so did Paul Simon and Willie Nelson.

Thirty-eight years later, the lyrics hit me in the heart again.

Every radio station played that song, at the same time, all over the world.

I thought of life now.

“We Are the World?”

It doesn’t appear that we are.

“We’ve gone backwards,” Kathy said. “Imagine what half the country would say now if someone announced that they were going to send the money to starving people on another continent.”

Exactly.

It would go over like a lead balloon.

Compassion, empathy, respect, love…

…all seem to be in much shorter supply.

I hate to be cynical about it, but backs have been turned.

I decided not to dwell on the down side of it. 

Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson wrote a great song.

Quincy Jones produced the hell out of it, and all those great artists checked their egos at the door for one night…

…all in the name of doing something great.

It’s still possible.

Isn’t it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie