The Opposite of Awesome

I had a safety training meeting at a client’s office. Now, I’ve worked in every kind of training ‘hall’. 

This was a first.

The owner is evidently a very experienced hunter and he doesn’t just shoot deer.

The office looked like a taxidermy exhibit with stuffed elk, deer, bears, moose, raccoons, and a cheetah cat that I couldn’t believe he’d shot.

“Isn’t it awesome?” A guy asked me.

I nodded, while wondering what word I’d use as the opposite of awesome.

I stood next to a bear that was much bigger than me. The poor animal had lost its life because this guy needed to shoot something.

Worse are the people who shoot elephants or giraffes or even more majestic animals.

I couldn’t answer, and I thought about being about eight years old. 

My Dad and Grandpa had gone out with their rifles and there was wild excitement because they’d shot a deer.

I didn’t know that they hung it in the garage.

I wandered in looking for my basketball and there was the poor deer.

Just hanging there!

When I close my eyes, I can still see it - 51 years later!

Now, I do realize that a lot of guys enjoy hunting as much as I like playing golf.

Yet…

…I kind of don’t get it.

Not much of a killing machine here.

“Look at that cat,” the guy said. “You should hear the story of how he bagged that.”

 I’m good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie