Sea Legs

Any ideas I had about easing my way back into a work routine was blown away by phone calls, texts and emails as a whole lot of people must’ve thought about me during the break.

“Are you available to do our training?”

Now I normally do a lot of classroom work this time of year, but I was a tad overwhelmed…

…two days into the new year as I tried to schedule everything.

On Tuesday afternoon I received a message that said:

“Try and get there by 6:45 tomorrow so you can sign in?”

“Get where?” I asked.

“Dude, we have 25 guys coming for training tomorrow morning. Don’t tell me you forgot!”

“Of course not,” I said. “I was just trying to scare you.”

(I had forgotten).

“God! I almost had a heart attack.”

And the thing about it, there’s not a whole lot that catches me off-guard. I’ve been doing this for a long, long time so I don’t need to do a lot to prepare.

By 8:00, I had them in rapt attention with some of the same old stories I’ve been using in training for decades.

My feet were cold.

I climbed about 8 ladders.

Was finally on the way home.

“Can you stop and get me an iced cap?” Kathy texted.

Bah!

“Sure,” I said. “I got nothing else to do.”

And I did a little math in my head.

“32 days until I’m standing on the tee in Florida,” I thought.

Seems like it’s about 6 months away.

Gotta’ get my sea legs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie