Hard Lessons

Life deals it out, doesn't it?

Was chatting with a guy on one of the sites. He'd spent a little time away for a 3rd DWI.

Sounds strange, but he's a good guy.

"You done with the stupid shit?" I asked him.

"Oh yeah, losing game. I'm on top of it now. Never again. I learned my lesson. I'm not going back in."

I believe him, but I'm a little worried for him too.

Thing is, we always have things to worry about, for others, and for ourselves too.

We're all vulnerable to weakness and self-knowledge usually comes immediately after you've messed something up.

You know where the dynamic is strangest though:

With our kids.

"Don't do that," is usually met with scorn or disbelief.

You really don't want to allow them to make mistakes, but you can't hold the leash too tight or you get blow back.

So, you watch and hope they aren't totally hammered by the lessons learned.

And the funny thing about hard lessons is that you can learn them...

...then slip back...

...and have to learn them again.

Change isn't ever easy, especially as time puts distance between the mistakes.

I've had to learn a few things about my physical capabilities as I've battled leg, feet and back difficulties.

"You have to change the way you work," my doctor has said, every three months or so.

Yet, you know what my mind knows?

Yeah, doing it the way it's always been done.

And you try to take the lessons and make a new reality, but it's never easy.

I'm hoping the guy on the job site stays away from his car every time that he has a beer, for the rest of his days, but the mind is a tricky thing.

"I only had one," gives way to "I'm three miles from my house," to "I only had two beers, occifer."

Think of all that you've learned since day one.

As children we are all so curious and teachable.

As adults...

...we mess it up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty