D.B. of the Week - Adrian Peterson

The story that broke over the weekend about yet another football player behaving badly had a bit more of an impact in our house because Adrian Peterson is really good at running with the ball.

My son Jake was constantly showing me Peterson's great runs as a video package. Sam and Jake often spoke about how 'great' Peterson is.

That talk has ended.

"He's an a-hole," Sam said to me on Friday night.

Sam then showed me the photos of Peterson's sons legs and back. He also showed me the text that Peterson sent to the mother of the child explaining why he had to beat the child and how bad he felt about 'catching a nut' while he did it.

(Evidently the kid had bruises on his groin as well).

I'm not sure if Sam was more angry about it than either Jake or I was. Kathy also viewed the photos and simply shook her head.

You know what angered me more about it?

Knowing that this week's D.B. of the week still had loud ovations, and fans in a shirt with his name on it, in his future. Someday soon he will run out on the field and people will cheer him.

Others will defend him saying that it's his kid and he can raise him as he likes.

Look at those marks - think of the doctors who deemed it abusive - and know that it was a 4-year-old getting hammered with a weapon by a gigantic man.

He is an a-hole.

There will be still others who will say:

"My Dad spanked me when I was young. I turned out okay."

Perhaps.

Maybe in spite of the spankings.

As a parent, of course I've been on each side of the issue. My Dad loved me. He never showed his love by beating the snot out of me. He never lost control of the situation. In fact, we sometimes received the 'promise' of a spanking that never materialized.

As a father, I feel bad if I raise my voice to my children. I want them to respect me, not fear me. They have responded in kind.

Finally, something else galled me about the beat-down. Peterson's lawyer, Rusty Hardin, who also defended Roger Clemens when he lied through his teeth (Hardin wants a straight ticket to down below, evidently), came out and said that Peterson was disciplining his child as he himself was disciplined.

Isn't that the credo for abuse?

He beats his kids because his Dad beat him?

Violence begets violence, people.

And!!!

The kid was 4 years old!

He was misbehaving!!

Shocking!!!

You know what's more disconcerting?

D.B. of the week doesn't quite seem to be enough of an honor for Adrian Peterson.

"He belongs in jail," Sam said.

Yeah.

With a whole lot of other D.B.'s.

One final thought:

My friend and award-winning author John Brubaker tweeted about the subject:

"If you think what Adrian Peterson did is acceptable parenting, don't be surprised when your son grows up to be Ray Rice."

Yep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty