Toughen Your Skin


Check this out.

This is a photo of a young black gal trying to toughen her skin against abuse that she might take if she were to venture out in the world and try and become a productive member of society.

The twitter photo stated that it was from a training session that black girls were put through at the time. The lady positioned behind the seated student is hurling racial put-downs at the girl while the man positioned at her shoulder is blowing cigarette smoke into her face.

She is being graded on her ability to work through the abuse while controlling her anger at the situation.

Of course, the photo and the explanation of it all made me pretty sad. It made me understand just how abusive it was back then.

When was the photo taken you ask?

1960!!!

That's the part that blew my mind.

The other day I was telling my boys the story of buying the Henry Aaron Hammerin' Hank book down in Largo, Florida. I had saved my money for months to be able to buy the book and my Mom finally took me to the store where I had eyed it up for a couple of months or so.

I was 10 years old. I was so excited to be holding the book. I couldn't wait to read it.

When I got to the cash register a middle-aged white man took it from my hand.

"Why are you letting him buy a book about a nigger?" the guy said to my mother.

I was white child. Still, the word bit into me. 38 years later, I can still picture the scene. I can still see the disgust on his face.

I didn't understand it.

Of course, my mother went completely ape shit. Mom always has been a staunch defender of each of her children, and she was going to raise us with dignity.

She threatened to kill the bigot.

A few things come to mind whenever I think about that day:

1). I remember the pain of having to save my dimes for that book.

2). I recall how disturbed I was by that man's hateful word.

3). I remember being proud of Mom.

38 years later three things are true:

1). I still have that book.

2). To me Henry Aaron is still the home run king.

and

3). I still don't understand that man's hate or the fact that men and women were treated in such a manner, in our country, just over 50 years ago.

And in some places...still today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie