Not Possible Anymore

Went to a graduation party a couple of weeks ago and was stuck playing one game that I hate - horsehoes.

I don't hate the concept, of the game, and I certainly didn't mind spending time with three of my best buddies in the world, but I have to hate the game.

Because I've always really sucked at it.

Yet, as luck might have it, I have one buddy who is a freak at all things competitive and I have made a lot of money just being his partner in a lot of two-man events.

I cheer him on.

He tells me how bad I suck.

We win.

So we started throwing shoes.

The other team battled right along, but I captained my team to victory by 21 to 15.

I scored one point.

That particular shoe slipped out of my hand.

I let everyone know what a great toss it was.

While we played I thought of all the other games we'd all played through the years. Basketball, tennis, baseball. Game after game. We all had a few skills. A couple of the guys playing had a lot of skills.

I always had the biggest mouth.

We started the second game and my partner opened up the scoring with a ringer and another point that just missed being a ringer.

I mentioned to the other team that they were getting their asses kicked again, and that I was on the winning team.

I glanced at the tennis courts. I couldn't even fathom trying to play a competitive game now and I had loved that game.

I scored a point.

I ran my mouth.

I scored another.

Ran my mouth some more.

We won again.

I had totaled 7 points in the second game.

A true career high.

One thing is still possible:

I can still talk a great game.

(Dedicated to JC and Millie: You guys suck at shoes).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty