Enough is Enough

We've had a weird schedule lately. The beautiful wife has been working a different shift that made it impossible to even be in the same room at the same time as I was asleep before her shift ended and gone before she got up in the morning.

The boys have had the run of the joint with just one parent around. We've watched a lot of comedy shows in the late afternoons. Baseball always seems to be on as well.

So on Saturday we headed out for breakfast. Just the two of us.

And what did we discuss?

Yeah, the kids.

Except there was a twist.

"I had a dream that I was pregnant," Kathy said. "With twin boys!"

"You'd be on your own," I said.

"And I didn't know if I was going to keep them," she said. "And I was afraid to tell you."

"I'd be long gone," I said.

Again I was sort of ignored.

"Can you imagine having twin boys at our age?"

My wife seemed to be enjoying the dream.

"I'd be on the first bus out of town," I said. "You'd be a single mother of five."

Kathy just laughed.

"Right," she said. "Mister Responsible would just get on a bus and leave. You know you wouldn't."

"I'd have to take you out," I said. "You and the twins. Gone."

Yet my beautiful wife wasn't buying it.

"You'd be right there. Changing diapers. Chasing 'em around the house. Wouldn't it be crazy?"

The waitress finally brought a coffee and a water to the table. I considered the scenario for a fleeting moment.

"Nope. I'd kill you," I said.

"Could you imagine what they'd be like?"

I just wanted breakfast.

I hadn't laid eyes on her in about a week.

Starting over with two more hoodlums at nearly 49 years old?

"It can't really happen," Kathy said.

"Good thing for you," I said.

"I still think you'd be there if it happened."

Thank God we don't have to cross that bridge.

I'd be on 48 Hours Mystery.

They'd title it 'Enough is Enough.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie