A Walking Celebration

My sister presented me with a copy of The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho for Christmas. She knew I'd appreciate the story because we've always shared a common interest in well-written works.

The book is easy to read and carries a great many lessons in life - it also reminded me of my time spent with my boys over the holiday break.

My son Sam is a walking celebration of life. From the moment he wakes up until the morning he closes his eyes, he is at his own little party. The grace and innocence that he brings into our lives is actually amazing, and it made me a little uneasy today as I headed back into the working world.

Uneasy because there isn't that eternal optimism in the steps of the people that I meet on a routine basis. The smile, the sound of his laughter, the inquisitive search for what is true. He'll spin in a circle, run to the Internet, watch football, play shuffleboard, and constantly talk.

Talk...talk...talk...talk

Yet as I went about my business today, I thought of holding the thoughts of all my boys in my heart, because one of the real lessons in The Alchemist is to listen to your heart despite the doubts, unease, and anxiety that comes with living day-to-day.

I'm not in the same room as Sam right now, but he will be home in a matter of hours, and whether he is playing a video game, watching wrestling, doing his homework, or just talk, talk, talking... he will be doing it with all the excitement that he can muster.

His heart is pure right now and I'm sure we all felt that way at one time or another. The excitement of youth is lost as the days go by.

At least for today, I went back to the feeling of excitement in my heart that comes with just being alive.

New wish for my kids?

I hope they never lose their zest for all that is out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie