See What Love Can Do

My first step out of the car was into a job site where the wind was whipping pretty good and although it was about 15 degrees (which was a heat wave after last week), cold air ruled the day. I ran smack into an acquaintance who is all about his right to shoot his gun, the need to blow all Muslims off the map, and terror alerts across the land. "Merry Martin Luther King Day," he said. "Or is it Happy Martin Luther Day."

"Either way," I said. "I'm sure you're thrilled with it."

"You have to be in your glory with all this talk about dreams, love, peace, and happiness," he said. "Pretty soon we'll have an Obama day too."

"Man, you're wound up," I said.

"How can I not be? Peace, love and understanding," he mocked. "The change is in the air. Let's see what love can do."

My friend's sarcasm wasn't entirely lost on me. He had argued that with the change in leadership, America was certainly in for an awakening. He had told me of my imminent death at the hands of all sorts of terrorists. We had playfully bantered back and forth about who's fault the last eight years were.

Yet what he said today kind of stopped me in my tracks. "Let's see what love can do."

Sort of a novel concept I suppose in this time of war, and uncertainty. This guy was speaking of love as if it were a horrible idea. Believe it or not, I knew what he was saying, but is it possible that love can be a bad idea? Will we suffer if we strive for dignity and respect?

For me, it's always been the idea that we can only control what we can control. Blind hatred for Arabs in my life doesn't do much for me. Hatred in your own heart is a little like burning down your house to get rid of a mouse in the cupboards.

The other day I was talking to my boy Matt - we were discussing the bad behavior of a football star - "The way he acts has no impact on my life," Matt said.

Not a bad way of looking at things - in any regard - the change is certainly in the air. Every time we walk by a television set today we will hear MLK give his speech - some might say a rather idealistic look at things, a long time ago.

And tomorrow Obama will take his place in history - and hopefully - he will do his job with peace, love, respect and understanding in his heart. It doesn't mean he has to be soft. It doesn't mean we will have to be victims of another attack.

Change is in the air - perhaps seeing what love can do - will be beneficial.

Comments

deafjeff said…
After 6,000 +/- years, maybe giving love a chance is really all we need.
John said…
I'm willing to give it an honest try. Could it really be worse than all the hate and fear?
The mighty sword of Love - wasn't that part of the inaugural poem? Oh yes, it was because it made so much sense. MLK spoke of his dream, and you know, Borack just made it come true, didn't he?
deafjeff said…
There's a pillar in the temple where I carved your name
There's a soul sitting sad and blue
Now the remedies you've taken are all in vain
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

Darling I can't stop the rain
Or turn your black sky blue
Well let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

Well now our truth lay shattered, we stood at world's end
There's a dead sun rose in view
As if any of this matters, a kiss my friend
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

Darling we can't stop this train
When it comes crashing through
But let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

On the bench you lie all is nails and rust
And the love you've given's turned ashes and dust
When the hope you've gathered's drifted to the wind
It's you and I now, friend (you and I now, friend)
You and I now, friend

Here our memory lay corrupted and our city lay dry
Let me make this vow to you
Here where it's blood for blood and an eye for an eye
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do

Here we bear the mark of Cain
But let the light shine through
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do
Let me show you what love can do
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Wow! Just found out today there's a song with that name on the new bruce Album - thanks Pops for putting up the lyrics.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty