Yankee Stadium - The Final Year


On Friday night I made my annual trip to Yankee Stadium. It is the final year for the old place as the new stadium lurks across the street. Fortunately, I sat eleven rows in, off of 3rd base and watched the Yanks pound out a win. Life doesn't get much better - but it struck me how much of a role sports plays in our society, and although I love baseball and the Yankees, it's a tad disconcerting.


I didn't pay the $180 for the ticket. I was invited as part of a business trip. But it still shocked me to understand what is happening. I remember seeing games in Baltimore back in 1991. A buddy of mine and I would hang out for $5 per game - we'd sit in the worst seats in the place and drink beer and laugh.


17 years ago you could grab a night out for less than $20 - now - $20 wouldn't get you a spot at the peephole on the fence that lines the outside of the stadium.


Friday night, beers were going for $8.50. A hot dog was $6. One of those foam fingers would set you back $10.


One player on the Yankees - Jason Giambi strolled to the plate - he is currently hitting .150 with five homers and 13 RBI's - he's making $21 million dollars this year. He went 0 for 3 with 2 strikeouts. I could go 0 for 3 with three strikeouts for 20 million less per year - just put me in coach!


There were a ton of kids there - the Yanks season attendance will be over 4 million this year - where do the people get the $ to sit in those seats all year long?


I took a bunch of photos and thought about the first time I sat at the stadium - it was back in the mid-80's and the Yankees weren't very good. Yet my buddy and I rode the subway and watched my boyhood idol, Don Mattingly win the game in the late innings. We paid $15 for our seats behind home plate.


Can't wait to get to the new digs next year - I might have to take out a 2nd mortgage to see the game.



Comments

deafjeff said…
It must be cheaper if you don't spend $300 on beer every game. The amount of beer you drink alone could get me seasons to the Bills.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie