Happy Anniversary

Every year it rains on May 31st - you can thank my wife and I for that. We were married 11 years ago today in left field at the town park. I wore a Yankee cap as did everyone in the wedding party. A judge called our wedding - and as I love to joke - I should have asked for a jury.

The rain came down hard and cold that afternoon. Our friends and families drank enough to sink a ship. I may have drank the most. Springsteen was the music of choice, of course, and I did not have a single doubt in my mind that the life we were beginning was the absolute life that I wanted to lead. Rain and all, I still see things from the same vantage point.

One of the songs that meant a lot to me on that day 11 years ago was Real World by Springsteen - I remember listening to it at full volume on the way to the field.

"Mister trouble come walking this way, year gone past feels like one long day, but I'm alive and I'm feeling all right.

Well I ran that hard road out of heartbreak city, built a roadside carnival out of hurt and self-pity. It was all wrong, well I'm moving on.

Ain't no church bells ringing, ain't no flags unfurled, just you me and the love we're bringing into the real world.

I built a shrine in my heart, it wasn't pretty to see, made out of fool's gold, memory and tears cried. Now, I'm heading over the rise. I'm searching for one clear moment of love and truth, I still got a little faith, but what I need is some proof tonight. I'm looking for it in your eyes.

Ain't no church bells ringing, ain't no flags unfurled, just you me and the love we're bringing into the real world.

Well tonight I just want to shout, I feel my soul waist deep and sinking into this black river of doubt. I just want to rise and walk along the river side, and when the morning comes, baby I don't want to hide. I'll stand right at your side with my arms open wide.

I want to find some answers, I want to ask for some help. I'm tired of running scared, baby, let's get our bags packed, we'll take it here to hell and heaven and back and if love is hopeless, hopeless at best, come on put on your party dress, it's ours tonight, and we're going with the tumbling dice.

Ain't no church bells ringing, ain't no flags unfurled, just you me and the hope we're bringing into the real world. - Bruce Springsteen

My wife and I sign five year contracts for our marriage - I re-upped last year to take us through 15 years - can't see any reason for re-negotiating the contract - Happy Anniversary - we are still bringing faith, hope and love into the Real World.

Comments

deafjeff said…
send me copy or the contract, that I gotta see. She has to be getting rooked.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie