Memorial Day

I have vivid recollections of Memorial Day as a child. In the Town of North Collins there used to be a long parade, and we would head down to see all the Veterans dressed in their uniforms. Many of the men and women were either related to me, or friends of the family. They always looked so official, and to a young boy, a little frightening. They would march, do a routine, and they wouldn't really smile until it was all over. Their march led them back to the American Legion in the center of town, and from there the party would begin.

Fast forward to Friday morning. I was walking through the University @ Buffalo South Campus. It was a crisp, cool morning with a lot of sun. I was walking along, minding my own business, with five dollars in hand so that I could grab a coffee and a breakfast sandwich from the Roach-Coach (the wagon that delivers grub to consturction guys - there's usually a pretty girl pouring the coffee).

A skinny, very poorly dressed man was making a rapid approach. He certainly didn't look like a member of the construction crew, and I quickly gauged that he wasn't a student either.

"Excuse me!" he called out.

My mind registered that he was probably a homeless dude looking for money.

"I hate to bug you," he said.

His eyes were glassy and his smell wasn't exactly what I needed at this time of the morning. I was looking forward to the coffee girl and this dude was stopping me?

"I'm a Veteran," he said. "Three stints in Iraq."

He flashed a VA card to let me know he was telling the truth.

"I'm not a druggie or an alcoholic. Seriously, I need 80 cents for the bus."

He certainly didn't look like my proud Uncle on Memorial Day's past. He wasn't dressed like my friends' Dad, holding a gun and doing a perfect march. He actually tilted a little to the left, and I understood that the 80 cents probably wasn't just for the bus.

I handed him the 5 bucks. The coffee girl wasn't getting a dime today.

"God Bless You," he said.
"Right back at you," I answered. "Have a great Memorial Day."

Here's hoping that others serving get more of the welcome and respect that North Collins used to deliver up on past Memorial Days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie