Rainbow Parties

God, these kids today...

I read a story today about 13-year-old girls sending nude camera photos of themselves to attract new boyfriends. I also read an article about the rampant oral sex parties that have become a major part of the high school society. Young girls get together and choose different colors of lipstick to decorate a part of a males anatomy.

Are you kidding me? My boys are in the middle of this - and suddenly life has changed to something I can't quite understand.

When I was a mere lad, the idea of such contact - especially coming from a Catholic School education - was not only horrifying, it was also one of what I considered a deadly sin. To top it off, I didn't stand much of a chance of being invited to such a party. I was tall, skinny, and really quite weird when it came to talking to "chicks".

A while ago my son was spending a bit too much time in the bathroom - I decided to tease my wife a bit - explaining that he was experimenting - of course, my wife was horrified.

"You must understand a boy's hormones," I said. "We start fantasizing about girls and things get out of hand quickly. We lose control of ourselves and it's all we think about."

"That's gross," Kathy said. "At what age does that behavior stop?"

"I'll let you know," I answered.

Yet these parties are wrong on so many levels - sending nude photos through the phone lines is absolutely horrifying when you're discussing teenage girls. Teachers sleeping with kids; rainbow parties; nude photos.

Obviously, kids are growing up much too quickly. I think of what it meant for me to hold a girl's hand - or God help me - get to kiss one of them. I guess the world has changed. I can only hope that my boys get the lesson of respect that we are trying to present. Yet do our stern words of warning stand a chance if they get a text message and photo from an interested girl?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie