Fourteen Years

"Where were you?" I asked Jake as he stood before me with a towel and obviously wet shorts.

"I was out in the garage baking cookies," he said.

So.

We've recently got a hot tub.

I maybe should've put two and two together.

I'm proud of his answer nonetheless.

Jake is a kid with a quick wit.

November 5th is kinda' his day.

Fourteen years ago he underwent a really, really, really, really, really tough surgery to remove a really, really, really, really, really 'big ass tumor' (as he calls it).

The operation was one that he had a good chance of not making it through.

(Thank you Women & Children's Hospital & Dr. Caty & Dr. Levitt)

God was with us that day and despite the fact that there's been a lot of life since...I am relieved to think that November 5th is a great day in the history of our family.

What was funny about it was that I had to work the majority of the day.

I was working on writing reports when I heard Jake going back and forth with Kathy.

Those two have been going back and forth each and every day.

Their bond is remarkable even though one of them presses the other to the limit with quick wit and a stubborn streak.

14 years.

Man.

It goes by so fast.

Jake doesn't ever want to talk about any of it except when he needs to bring it all up to get out of something.

"One of you has to take out the garbage," I'll say.

"I can't," Jake will answer. "I had a big-ass tumor."

He is always able to trump any of the sniffles that the other boys have.

And you know what's really cool?

Watching him play basketball...

...and run...

...and aggravate his mother.

November 5th.

It's a good day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie