Momma'

I guess I pay attention a lot as a writer. It's part of the gig.

I say one thing all the time, fairly consistently.

The love between a mother and a child is amazing.

Simply amazing.

I was blessed to see it with my Mom.

Every day.

For years and years and years.

I am equally blessed to see it with my beautiful wife and the hoodlums who eat us out of house and home.

She starts a lot of conversations with me that begin with one of their names.

"Matt did pretty well at school," she'll say.

"Matt who?" I'll answer.

"Jake really breaks his ass when he plays defense."

"Jake who."

"Sam is just so loving."

"Sam who?"

You get the point.

And it's not that I don't feel the same sort of pride. Of course, I do, but Mom's job is to worry about every single little emotion.

There is no problem too small.

The other day they were raising their voices while playing a video game. All three of the morons were in on it. We were just starting to watch a movie.

Kathy started to get up to see what was happening.

"Just let 'em go," I said.

"I can't," she answered.

And therein lies the difference.

She came back laughing.

"They're little dopes," she said.

"I could've told you that from here."

She started the movie.

A contented smile on her face.

That's a Mom's love.

It's brighter than the sun.

It stands the test of time.

It's truly astounding.

Happy Mother's Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie