Does Someone Really Care?

Jason Collins is a pro basketball player. He currently doesn't play on a team as the season has just ended and he's a free agent. He's also a bench player as well, and on Monday he came out and told the world a secret.

He's gay.

I'm not sure what the deal is, but I imagine that someone, somewhere thinks that it's either:

The most horrific thing ever

or

The most courageous thing since Jackie Robinson.

I don't think it's either, but I don't even know why someone would want my opinion on what somebody else does with their life's choices.

A friend of mine once tried to sway me to the anti-gay side by telling me that 'it's against my religion.'

So is hate.

I'm not the guy who's gay so if God has a problem with homosexuality it better be that he has a huge problem with it if he also damns all who didn't speak out about gay behavior.

It's not my place.

I just think that most of the angst in the world is by trying to tell someone how to act in the way you want them to act. Wars are fought over religious differences more than anything else in this universe. Friends hate friends nowadays because one has a liberal slat versus a conservative side. Guns or anti-guns? Bush or Obama? Tastes great or less-filling?

Who cares?

Here's the greatest lesson I've learned as an adult:

You can't get people to behave the way you want them to.

and secondly,

You're a real dope if you think you should be the one setting all the parameters.

I do applaud Jason Collins as a man.

That's not an easy thing to stand up and face. And if he's on a team, face it he will, but I just find the whole thing sort of weird.

Why do we care about someone's sexuality?

Do you know what everyone you know likes in a sexual partner?

Have you ever started or ended a friendship based on if the guy likes to kiss his girlfriend on the neck, or likes his feet tickled or his back rubbed as foreplay?

Who cares?

Can Jason Collins shoot the three? Does he rebound well on the offensive end?

Those are actually more important questions if you're gonna' hire him to play basketball.

But if he does land on a team make no mistake about the fact that he will hear every possible insult from a hateful public.

That's what is sort of cool about his stand. He knew there'd be hate and that it'd be a real rough road, but he stood up for himself anyway.

I sort of care about that more than the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie