Community

One of the things in this life that I rather enjoy is when people band together to really help other people.

I was listening to a story about St. Jude's Children Hospital as well as the Ronald McDonald House. I also had the chance to see the kid in the wheelchair throwing out the first pitch at the Boston Suck Sox game.

I really liked the kid.

Even though he was talking to Pedro.

Even if he was wearing a B on his shirt.

And there's so much crap, right?

Amanda Bynes - I wrote about her yesterday.

LeBron James - "I know I'm great. I wanna' get greater. If that's possible."

Douche Armstrong. "I'd start my 'I'm sorry tour', but I don't know that I really cheated."

And on and on and on.

Meanwhile there are people who give their time and money away and don't look for thanks.

Granted Bill Gates is doing okay, but do something weird sometimes and look up how much he's given to charity.

Billions.

He does it on the sly.

A few years back I did a book and donated my portion of the profits to the Buffalo City Mission. I tried to get others to do the same.

(Not pulling a Bron-Bron and telling you I'm good)

It comes with a story.

"I don't give money to those places," one lady said at one of the signings. "Those people steal it."

I did my best:

"People give to charity for the way it makes them feel inside," I said, with a smile.

"Besides," she said. "People need to get off their asses."

I took a deep breath. My book was about someone born into tragedy.

Getting off 'his ass' wasn't a viable solution.

"Did you know there are a lot of people who really suffer and sometimes it isn't their fault?" I asked.

"Cry me a river," she said, and then she laughed and walked away.

(Bitch didn't even buy a book)

In Boston that poor kid was standing in the wrong place when a bomb went off.

In Oklahoma people had their homes ripped from the foundations.

Same thing in New Jersey.

Sometimes a woman has to make a choice to leave an abusive situation and find shelter from the storm.

"Cry me a river."

Indeed.

If you got a leftover dime think about the people in tragedy-swept areas.

Get it to them somehow.

It'll make you feel good inside.

Where it counts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie