Do Ya' Think I'm Sexy

I listened to Rod Stewart for an hour and a half yesterday. He was being interviewed by Howard Stern. As per usual, Howard asked all the right questions about all the girls, the friendships with other rock stars, and the writing of the music.

The time went so quickly, and by the time the interview was over I liked Rod even more. Howard treated Stewart with a lot of respect, as well he should. Stewart has written so many great songs through the years.

What did I learn?

1). Stewart drives his kids to school in his Rolls Royce and the Ferrari. He does it to embarrass the kids. He also attends their PTA meetings and even read a story to the class. Howard asked the right question:

"Do any of the female teachers try to bang you?"

Rod just laughed.

2). He loves model trains. He has a huge display in his mansion, and sometimes he spends entire days just creating and changing and building.

"Men need a hobby," he said. "So we leave the women alone once in awhile."

Howard asked him if he wore the conductor hat while he was building.

Rod just laughed again.

3). Maggie May almost didn't make it onto an album. The record company hated the song as did Stewart. The song only saw the light of day because he didn't have another song ready. Brilliant stroke of luck there.

4). I heard songs from the new album. There was a time when I bought every single Rod Stewart album without hearing a tune. The stupid American Songwriters crap stopped me from doing that - Howard played the song, "It's Over." It was brilliant. I pulled over to the side of the road and purchased the CD with about ten keystrokes. I can't quite get used to that, but I'll be listening to it soon. I love talented people.

5). He only wrote 1 song that he knew was a hit. Do Ya' Think I'm Sexy. He sang a few sentences of it when we saw him in Buffalo back in 1994. It still ranks as the most surprising concert of my life. Rod was awesome. I'm still a little hungover from that night as is my brother-in-law Chuck, my brother John, Corinne, and Dana. Jeff was my date that night. One of the great days.

6). Keith Moon could out party Rod. All right. I might have guessed that one. Stewart told a story of a night that stretched into the morning. He begged out of the endless drinking by telling Moon he couldn't drink anymore. "Get lost, you wanker!" Moon told him.

7). He still thinks he could play with Faces again. If the Stones ever quit and he gets Ronnie Wood back.

The fun part of listening to the survivors of the rock and roll days is to hear them discuss how they take care of themselves now. Early to bed and early to rise is their motto. They continue to push themselves because they love what they are doing.

Great interview.

Rock and Roll Hall of Famer.

And the best thing I learned?

He's done singing the American Songwriters garbage.

All new tunes from here on out.

Very cool.

(This blog goes out to my sister-in-law Carilee who would leave her poor husband Jim in a minute if Rod told her too).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie