Mickey D's

Tomorrow is a monumental day as Matt enters the wonderful working world. Yes, he had a pretty good run, having had to work only one day under the employment of others.

To be fair, he's a good kid who works hard enough around the house, doing what he is told, and doing a good job - he just never truly enjoyed it. In fact, his only other job, a six-hour shift at a pirogi factory led to this great line: "I ain't going back, they expect me to stay all day."

So, he avoided the call of work for quite awhile - tomorrow it will all change.

Matt was able to nail the interview and get a job at McDonald's. He will be flipping meat and doling out fries, and God help me, I hope and pray that he has to wear a hat because I fully intend to break my no fast-food rule by stepping in to watch him glide across the floor, filling orders, smiling at customers, and muttering under his breath.

He will be expected to stay through the end of his shift.

This of course was a point of contention early.

"Good thing I only have to work until six on Sunday," he said. "I have a fantasy football draft at seven. I would've hated to make up an excuse to leave early on the first day."

Okay, so he doesn't get it all yet. He doesn't understand that his priorities need to shift a bit.

"School, work, then whatever you do for fun, in that order," his mother explained.

"That's crazy," Matt responded.

Yeah,sometimes it does seem crazy, especially when an ill wind blows through your life and changes everything.

Years and years ago, I worked at the local grocery store. As part of an in-store promotion the owner of the store had me dress up as the Buffalo Bison mascot - whatever the hell his name was, Buster, I think. It was my very first day of work. I was thrilled with the assignment as it promised to be real fun.

I put on the filthy suit, and walked around the store pretending that I actually gave a shit about people. I especially paid attention to the little kids who seemed to be in awe of me...all except for one kid.

"You ain't Buster," he said.

"Sure I am!" My voice was muffled by the small breathing hole that was becoming covered with sweat and spit.

"Then how come you're wearing sneakers?" the kid asked.

No kidding, the kid brought his foot back and made direct contact with my left shin. I never saw it coming, of course, because the eye holes were merely slits.

I dropped to my knees, dressed like a freaking Buffalo, in the cereal aisle, as the kid wailed, his mother scolded him, and about fifty other people laughed.

Here's hoping that Matt has a better first day.

Please God, make him dress up like Ronald!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie