Driving, Drenching, Soaking Rain

I left the house at 6 AM. It was still dark outside and there was a heavy rain coming down. I didn't bother to cover my head as I walked to the car - not really concerned about ruining the hair-do.

Still, I was trying to talk myself into being a little optimistic today. I had another long day ahead with a lot of miles on the old gray road. Where would the inspiration come from?

I should have known that my obsessive mind would beat in tune with the windshield wipers. I'd lost the charge on my phone and the car charger wasn't working well. For the phone to take a charge at all I had to hold the phone up in front of me, high above the steering wheel.

I also started to obsess about the rain and how its constant hammering of my windshield was going to cost me my plans of a day that I'd settled on about a week ago. If I'm to work, I want to be productive, being away from the family isn't worth it if I'm not doing something to further their development.

Drizzle, turned to a downpour that made me adjust the speed of the wipers. The car heater was too high as well, and I had to put the phone down because holding my hand in the same position was driving me crazy.

I don't mind the pain. Don't mind the driving rain. I know I will sustain. Because I believe in you, Bob Dylan wailed in the background.

I thought about my son Jake running cross-country nine years after his tumor had been removed. He got in the car last night and told me all about the latest meet, laughing his head off at the kid who came in last.

More rain, but a sudden smile. I pulled into Verizon Wireless and bought a new car charger for the phone. $16. Problem solved. Stop obsessing.

I heard Jake's laughter in my head.

I do mind the pain. I do mind the driving rain, but Mr. Dylan, I may sustain because I do believe.

Went out to dinner alone, reading about the two idiots running for governor bashing each other about the way they treated their wives. If life were fair, they'd be working for me and my friends, and they would know what a 12-hour day of true work actually felt like. Talking about yourself, or bashing others in a press conference setting isn't really work.

I left the restaurant and the rain was pounding the sidewalk all around me. It was dark outside again. There never had been any sunlight, had there?

'We should build an arc,' a stranger walking by said to me.

I headed off to my room to write a few reports. The words of Rod Stewart's 'Forever Young' was running through my mind

And whatever road you choose, I'll be behind you, win or lose. Forever Young.

Do like they do in Rome...let it rain.

Comments

Your phone charger is on the top of mom's microwave... you left it there over Labor Day weekend. I thought it was mine and almost took it. Problem solved.

:0)

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie