Mad As Hell!

Yesterday my boys Jake and Matt decided that it was time to give me a bit of my own medicine. Every time they saw me throughout the course of the day they reminded me that the 27-time defending World Champion Yankees had lost the night before, and that Tampa had won, and that the 27-time defending World Champion Yankees have a high payroll.

"Best record in baseball," I kept chanting.

Yet there is a deeper seed of controversy at work here. In a ritual that drives my wife crazy I work hard at getting the boys into loud debates that are designed to make them think a situation through, but largely turn into loud, friendly, screaming match.

"They're doing it to you," Kathy said.

And that's okay. I can deal with it. Even when the 27-time defending World Champion Yankees lose and are eliminated from contention I can always just say "27" and end the discussion.

Yet reading the morning paper affords me the chance to see that arguing through an issue is not an exercise confined to sports.

I'm Mad As Hell Too, Carl signs are all over the neighborhood. Businessman Carl Paladino is running for Governor under that platform, and he has made significant strides.

"I'm voting for him," my brother-in-law told me last week.

"Why's that?"

"Great slogan."

We were at a party and I didn't want to get into one of the debates for the fun of it, but his answer drove me crazy. How does Carl feel about this or that? What is his background? Are we better served by being mad?

Yesterday protesters and demonstrators gathered near the potential mosque site at Ground Zero. It nearly got violent.

Screaming at the top of their lungs for peace. Burning pages out of Holy books. Threats. Hand gestures. Go back to where you came from. We have free speech. You're an a*%#hole! No, your mother is!

Good down-home debating, right?

Going through life 'Mad As Hell!' is a tough way to live. There really should be intelligent discourse that doesn't end in hurt feelings, ignorant statements, or even violence.

But what can you do? Human nature being what it is, I'm ready to get the ball rolling.

The kids like to sleep in on Sunday. The the 27-time defending World Champion Yankees lost again last night.

Perhaps I pull them out of their beds and make them do some things around the house. The more they chirp about the game last night, the more work they do.

Keep it quiet and I let them go back to bed.

Mad as hell! is a great slogan but it only truly works when you have the power.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie