Everything I Know - A Burning Frustration

It certainly seems that I've spent a lot of time throughout the years seething about this or that. It's been a lifelong battle to gain emotional control over all kinds of silly little things, and the burning frustration is sometimes undeniably blinding.

There are a few things that I absolutely know for sure.

1). There are people and situations that I need to learn to live with and no amount of resistance will allow for accomplishment.

2). I'm supposed to be practicing peaceful thinking, but every time I try it I think of the Seinfeld episode where George's father is screaming "Serenity Now!"

3). There are a lot of people out there who try and compensate for their own failings by tearing you down. They will be forever ready to pounce.

Of course, people pay thousands and thousands of dollars every year to try and get on top of their own emotions. That seems a little crazy to me, so I've learned to practice a bit of mind control.

Be very warned - it doesn't always work, but lately, the urge to choke some poor bastard who had the gall to block the right turning lane when I needed to turn is lessened.

How'd I accomplish this?

First off, learn to do all that you can do in a day. Stop. Do no more, and rest. We all want to be productive in all aspects of our lives. We want to compete to be the best we can be. Burning out doesn't allow that to happen. So rest a little.

Secondly, don't plot out the next day while you're trying to close your eyes. Read a little. Let the mind decompress. Ease out of the day. I have always had trouble sleeping and marvel at someone like my wife who closes her eyes and starts snoring all in the same motion.

"Don't you have a thought in your head?" I asked her one morning.
"Nope, I just go to sleep."

It works.

Lastly, I have a saying that I've been repeating over and over to myself - sort of my own 'Serenity Now!'

In your patience you shall possess your soul.

Nice, huh? It's worked a couple of times, so I've tried it.

Relax, lesson muscle tension, flush the mind through a period of quiet, and repeat my phrase. The mind is a capable of blocking out any annoyance. You just have to determine if you really want to block it out.

That's Everything I Know about handling frustration.

Comments

I am oh so familiar with number 3. Sadly, I have the Fuzzy blood and can't get sleep like Kathy does - close my eyes and snore in one motion, that would be cool.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie