Understanding Hate

We are now in season 4 of Homeland and there's a scene where Saul is talking to an Islamic terrorist and they're speaking of the hate the country has for Americans. Saul gives an impassioned speech, wondering about how the guy can kill off his own family in the name of religion.

The guy explains that the hatred in his heart is too much to take and it wipes out all other emotions.

That is crazy to me.

The other day a guy on Facebook posted that the Mets have a better chance of making the playoffs in 2015 than the Yankees do.

I mentioned that:

"I hear the same thing every year. It's only November. 1986 was a long time ago."

Nothing bad...just pure baseball rhetoric.

Someone I've never met commented:

"As a Yankee fan, Your (sic) a card carrying ass%&le and you should just STFU."

Even with my limited understanding of all these initials I knew what that stood for.

(By the way...'your' and 'you're' must've really been difficult to grasp back in grammar school).

"Geez, dude," I answered. "A little rough, huh?"

The guy then went on another profanity filled rant. I wished him a 'Happy Thanksgiving' and signed off.

His hate wasn't about me.

He doesn't even know me.

Perhaps he hates the Yankees and really loves the Mets (which illuminates his obvious mental condition) but in any regard I pictured him on the other end of that feed, just frothing at the mouth.

Who has time for such bitterness?

There's a lot of it out there in the real world as well.

When something major happens it is almost worth it just to read the comment sections to see the hatred coming through. People feel as if they are insulated by what they say to one another on there, but the civility is mostly gone.

There's name-calling.

Very little tolerance.

An understanding that you're 100% correct and that the person you don't even know is 100% stupid.

And it goes back to what Saul, an American, and the Islamic terrorist were fighting about.

Saul talked about retribution for 9/11.

The Islamic terrorist spoke of the American occupation of the Middle East under perhaps profit-gaining circumstances.

"You're killing in the name of peace. That's not love. That's hate."

The guy couldn't answer him.

I don't understand hatred.

I really don't.

I don't even hate the Boston Suck Sux.

I know they're necessary for the competitive juices to flow.

It's just scary when it gets out of hand and I'm afraid we live in a truly trigger happy society.

Where peace is a long ways away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie