The Things We Save

I received a letter in the mail requesting some old paperwork.

From 2009 through 2011.

They wanted just three pieces of paper from back in those days.

So, off I went, looking for them.

I'm usually pretty organized. I have a couple of spots where I keep papers that I need and normally I can put my hands on what is required.

But I couldn't find them.

Which didn't set off a panic, mind you because I knew that if I didn't have them in the right spot there was one reason why they were moved:

My beautiful wife.

I knew that when she got home we'd be able to find where she had filed them.

Hopefully.

Yet the pleasure was in the journey.

I looked through the box where I had put any and all newspaper clippings for the books.

I actually read the book review for Nobody's Home.

I read a couple of letters from a producer who'd been looking at making a movie of Counting On A Miracle.

I found my 1993 tax return.

And then the pile of newspapers.

I saved the paper from September 12, 2001 - the devastation of that day and the letter that I'd written and had published in about ten papers. I even read the letter again.

There was Jeter jumping on the cover of the October 1996 USA Today after the Yankees finally won.

I found a letter of IOU's that Jake had presented me with for my birthday. I told him to clean his room and presented him with the coupon, but he said that it had expired.

He then asked me to shut his door so he could go back to Madden.

Every birthday and Christmas card I've received since 1990 was in that box.

I looked at the wedding photo from my buddy Jeff Renaldo's wedding.

He's been married for about 40 years so there have been some changes, buddy.

(I still look the same).

I still have the scorebooks from the old softball games - The Lions Rule!!! - I led the team in hitting.

(I kept the books).

And I thought about throwing some of the stuff out.

But I didn't.

I packed it all back in the boxes.

I'll read it all again someday.

When I'm older and grayer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty