New Year's Eve Parties

It's funny but I can remember a whole bunch of New Year's Eve parties.

When we were kids my parents' friends used to come by and we'd eat a lot of food and hang out with them. Mom and Dad would have a few drinks and Frenchie and McGurk.

I really remember that Frenchie and McGurk would provide us with a lot of laughs.

As a teenager and well into my 20's I spent a lot of New Year's at the Buffalo Sabres game.

They did a Tux and Pucks night and I went a whole bunch of times...sometimes with a buddy...sometimes with a date.

The Sabres are home tonight - I won't be going.

In later years we had dinner and a whole lot of drinks with another couple. The kids were the one's who'd sit around and watch us drink and play cards and laugh.

We haven't done that in a couple of years.

In fact, last year I fell asleep at 10:30.

The first time that I had missed the New Year being ushered in.

And I'm not quite sure why I have sort of lost interest in the celebration.

I do like the idea of starting with a clean slate and believing that the door has been closed on a year that may not have gone as I wished.

We may mark the event this year...somehow.

There is also the real impulse to make some sort of promise to oneself.

I used to do that all the time.

I'd make lists.

"I'm gonna' read 100 books."

"I'm gonna' lose 20 pounds."

"I'm gonna' stop swearing."

"I'm not gonna' make fun of the suffering Bills fans."

No more sarcasm...sleep well...eat well...go to church...

...and on and on and on.

And then.

All the great thoughts are gone by about the 5th of January.

So. I stopped doing that too.

We need a new tradition around here.

I'm sure the boys will be talking about going out with their friends.

I'll keep you posted!

Happy New Year!

(Tell you early...in case I'm asleep).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie