Whyyyyy!!!!!! Whyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

It's been twenty years since a group of thugs sanctioned by Tonya Harding (allegedly) bashed my sweetheart, Nancy Kerrigan with a lead pipe, in an effort to try and get her out of the Olympics.

First off:

Where does the time go?

I recall so much about that time in my life.

I was living alone. I was spending a lot of time playing video games, drinking beer, playing softball, golfing, and barely paying my rent.

I had just met my future wife. We were spending time going to lunch and drinking beer.

I was young and strong and I most assuredly wasn't watching figure skating.

I'm not sure why the story caught so much of my attention.

Perhaps it was the cries of the attractive Nancy that tugged at my heart.

Whhhhyyyyy? Whhhhyyyyy?

And then Nancy was dragged in front of the cameras and I sort of liked that she was shy and scared and reluctant to get involved.

I was angry with Tonya that lousy piece of trash!

Nancy would come back!!

Nancy would skate for the gold!!

I even started watching the stupid sport trying to figure out the subtle differences. I was a judge of the beauty of it all.

Except I didn't know what the hell I was looking at. I do remember my brother, Jeff, coming over as I watched one event:

"This would be way better if they did it without underpants."

On the day when the Olympics were held I was working hard. The event was over, but I had secretly taped it and was going back to see if Nancy got the gold. I stayed clear of all radios and in a construction environment it was doubtful that talk of it would come up.

Except my buddy, Dan, who was a truck driver for the organization knew of my love for Nancy.

"Your girlfriend got the silver!" He yelled to me as he pulled the truck out of the yard.

I was devastated.

Later when I watched it I was even more devastated.

When Nancy married her agent the devastation was colossal.

By then, though, I grew closer to my then beautiful and now even more beautiful wife.

My love for Nancy soon faded.

I do have a half-dozen autographs that she signed for me.

And I've never watched figure-skating again.

Of course...

...if they ever go back to whacking one another with pipes, I might watch...

...or if the no undies idea takes hold...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie