Time Is An Illusion

The one lyric that captured me off the new Bruce record is trapped in the middle of the song: Hunter of Invisible Game.

Strength is vanity
Time is illusion
I feel you breathing
the rest is confusion.


(First off...14 words...just brilliant).

Secondly, I got stuck on the 'Time is An Illusion' sentiment.

A baseball writer posted a YouTube video of a play in the 1974 World Series. It was a throw to the plate by Dodger right-fielder Joe Ferguson. The throw came after Ferguson jumped in front of center-fielder Jimmy Wynn to make the catch. Ferguson then gunned out the runner with a perfect strike that hit the catcher's glove dead center.

I remembered every second of it as if it happened last night.

It had been Reggie at the plate and Bando trying to score from third. I knew it was Wynn that Ferguson cut in front of. I recalled that Ferguson was a catcher-turned-outfielder. The throw spanned a few hundred feet on the fly and landed in the center of Steve Yeager's glove. The Dodgers won the game (much to our dismay) but the A's had won the series.

Dad was sitting beside me when that throw made it's way across the diamond. Like I said, we had been really aggravated, but I remember the words said:

"It's like he shot it out of a gun."

And time is an illusion.

Joe Ferguson is a 70-year old man now.

I'm nearly 50.

Dad's voice still ringing in my ear, across all sorts of dimensions, I suppose.

I brought the play up and showed it to my boys.

They hooted and hollered about the strike thrown by a man who most likely can't lift his arm to scratch his ear, but probably dwells on the memory.

As if it had happened just yesterday...

...instead of 40 years ago.

And this is the place where I should be posting that video of that tremendous play, but look it up yourself.

39 years and 2 months ago.

468 months ago.

2,028 weeks ago.

14,240 days ago.

As if that matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie