Another List - Some of My Favorite Songs

Whenever the year flips there are lists.

Lists of what is in and what is out.

Lists of the top songs of the year and lists of what is coming in the new year.

Here at Thoughts of a Common Man we are no different.

Here's a list of some of my favorite sings...not the big hits...the ones that make me really turn up the volume though - they are in no particular order:

1). Hearts by Marty Balin - took me a long time to find this song on I-Tunes. I got so excited I downloaded it twice.

2). You Will Be My Music by Frank Sinatra - the best vocal of any song...ever. Play this one for the fans of rap and let them compare the music value.

3). Leah by Bruce Springsteen - Yeah, a Bruce song on the list, but not one you might expect. Lyrics are incredible. I shake my head all the way through it. It's about a guy who is almost living his life right. Almost.

4). Kentucky Rain by Elvis - The imagery just really works. His voice is perfect. You can feel his pain.

5). Beautiful Day by U2 - The only band I really love that hit it big after 1980. Just a perfect song made more important by loss in my own life.

6). I Just Fall In Love Again by Anne Murray - I defy you to not sing along. Perfect.

7). I'm Sorry by John Denver - Damn. Another one where you can really feel the pain. He could sing too. Should've filled his airplane with gas before taking off.

8). Minutes to Memories by Mellencamp - Hard to keep this off my list of favorite songs by any artist ever. It's meant a ton to me in my life and he sang it live when I went to see him. Got me a speeding ticket once too...drove way too fast with it on full blast.

9). Landslide by Natalie Maines - I like the Stevie version, but Natalie killed it.

10). Memory Motel by The Stones - Not sure where Mick came up with this one...really deep for the Stones.

11). The Final Cut - Pink Floyd - Song just ripped me up because it was about suicide and when I was young and thinking about what life could bring, I was transfixed with the idea that it could also bring utter despair.

12). Get Lucky by Mark Knopfler - A guy sitting back and thinking about life after it unfolded. He explains that it's filled with pain but that once in awhile the sun sets on your ass.

13). Eye in the Sky by The Alan Parsons Project - Little story...was writing my book by that name...deep in thought I came to the conclusion that it was too hard to get done...this song came on the radio.

14). Bluer Than Blue - Michael Johnson - I often think of this guy...one song...really simple...what did he do after this?

15). Can't Stop Loving You - Aldo Nova - I think of my buddy George whenever I hear Aldo - we listened to him a ton in college - great song...under-valued singer, right, George?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty